Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:26:04 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't exit xemacs

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:02:08AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 September 1999 at 23:00:15 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Seeing as so many people reckon emacs is the best editor in the
> > world I decided to give it a try. I installed xemacs-20.4 from the
> > packages (figuring that an X front end would make learning easier).
> > Twice I've got myself in the situation where I can't exit from it!.
>
> Normal Emacs runs under X.

OK, I've deleted xemacs and installed emacs-20.3 which seems to be
a bit easier to get to grips with (not so many bells and whistles).

> > I select ``Exit Emacs'' from the File menu and all I get is the
> > message at the bottom of the window:
> >
> >        Wrong type argument: buffer-live-p, #<killed buffer>
> >
> > The only buffer open is ``Buffer List''
> >
> > What the fsck have I done wrong!
>
> Used the wrong port?  Used the mouse?

Used the package on the 3.1 CDs. Yep, definitely used the mouse.

> > Mark (who has yet to be convinced that emacs is better than vi)
>
> I don't know what you've done.  It seems that there could be a bug in
> xemacs if you haven't rid yourself uncleanly of some buffers.

I kill -9'd it eventually and gave up. Let's see how I get on with
plain emacs.

> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.