Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: duplicating a dvd video

In Chapter 18.6.6 of the FreeBSD Handbook, you'll find instructions for cre=
ating an iso image from a data CD using the program dd.   dd works for DVD'=
s as well.  You can then burn the iso image to a DVD using growisofs (see: =
man growisofs).  You can find Chapter 18.6.6 at:=0A=0Ahttp://www.freebsd.or=
g/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html=0A=0AGood luck,=0A=
=0AAndrew L. Gould=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: Dave <dmehler26=
@woh.rr.com>=0ATo: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org=0ASent: Friday, July 20, 2=
007 9:02:09 PM=0ASubject: duplicating a dvd video=0A=0AHello,=0A    I asked=
 about this a while back and got some good feedback. The issue is =0Ait isn=
't happening.=0A=0A    To recap i've got some family-made dvd videos that i=
've been asked to =0Aduplicate. They are quite lengthy and as i discovered =
won't fit on to a =0Asingle layer dvd, so i got a three-pack, which i've al=
ready killed two, =0Aduel-layered dvds. My dvd writer can burn duel-layer d=
vds and the players =0Acan all play them so that's not an issue.=0A    What=
 i did originally was to run dvdbackup on the original dvd video. I =0Ainse=
rted it and ran:=0A=0Advdbackup -i /dev/cd1 -o /path/to/backup/area -M=0A=
=0Awhich created a folder under there called video_ts. A segway i put in a =
=0Amovie in to the dvd drive, mounted it and checked it out that also has t=
he =0Avideo_ts folder so i'm sure that's what has to go on the dvd. I put i=
n one =0Aof the blanks and do:=0A=0Agrowisofs -Z /dev/cd1 -dvd-video /path/=
to/backup/area=0A=0A    which upon mounting the resulting dvd i confirmed t=
hat it does have a =0Avideo_ts folder on it. My issue is when i try to play=
 them i'm getting disk =0Aread errors. The only thing i can think of is i h=
ave to make iso images =0Afirst, but i'd like confirmation on this or an id=
ea of what i've missed =0Abefore i try this again, i'd really not like to b=
urn another coaster.=0AThanks.=0ADave.=0A=0A_______________________________=