Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:41:32 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Rahul Fernandez <rnf006@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I install packages only for my release?

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:03:35AM -0800, Rahul Fernandez wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > The secret is that once you've installed the system, put away
> > sysinstall(1).  Learn how to use the system level commands for
> > installing packages -- particularly pkg_add(1).  Even better, use the
> > ports tree.  This may sound terrifying to the uninitiated: "what, you
> > mean I should compile all this stuff from source?!" but that's the
> > beauty of the ports system.=20
>=20
> Hi, Thanks for the response. I understand that the ports system is the mo=
st
> up-to-date. However, if I choose to install a package (to install very la=
rge
> packages like openoffice or mozilla say), am I am correct in thinking tha=
t I must
> install from the the directory set aside for my release? If this is the c=
ase why
> is it not a good idea to use sysinstall?

No, you don't have to install from the per-release directory on the
FTP site -- that's really only a record of the packages as shipped
with the 4 CD release set.  So long as you understand that a) you must
choose a package compiled against a system with the same major version
number; b) you should choose packages compiled against a system
version that isn't too different from where you're going to install --
the wider the gap, the greater the possibility of things not working
and c) you must update all of the package dependencies correctly
before you update the package of interest, which means that if the
package version of any dependency was updated between the package set
when your original system was installed and the more recent package
set you're using now, then you first have to update the dependency
=66rom the more recent set.  If you've got all that, then go right
ahead.

On the other hand, using the ports system means that you don't have to
worry about any of these considerations, especially if you use
portupgrade(1), which will automate the dependency ordering for you.

The other consideration is that for certain packages, you may want to
install something that was generated outside the regular FreeBSD
ports/packages system.  The classic examples here are OpenOffice,
where installing the packages from http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/
is a very popular route, and the Diablo Java JDK and JRE packages
available from http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

Why not use sysinstall(8)?  Basically, it's too simple minded.  It's
designed to be small and simple and to install packages from precisely
the set supplied with the installation media.  This is good for
beginners (whose first exposure to FreeBSD is often via installing the
system) but not up to the general professional standard of the system
as a whole.  Think of sysinstall as like the "training wheels" you had
when you were trying to learn to ride a bike as a kid.  Of course, my
word is not law, and if sysinstall does what you want and you're happy
with it, then carry right on using it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20