Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:57:25 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
To:        The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [Portsclean] Parse error

On Sunday 02 September 2001 20:19, The Psychotic Viper wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> > Is there some way to speed up 'make clean' in /usr/ports? The way this
> > enterprise is done several ports are cleaned numerous times and the whole
> > process takes about forever.
>
> just a suggestion that if you are cleaning up the ports dir regularly why
> not install the portupgrade package (from /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade)
> and cron portsclean to run every few days,weeks or months depending on
> your need. This will save time in a way and automate it so it can be run
> on w/e's or when there is minimal system usage/load

I didn't know this tool, so I just installed it... and it fails with this:

$ portsclean
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean:447: parse error
  end rescue []
              ^
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean:450: nested method definition
def check_distinfo(origin)
                   ^
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean:460: nested method definition
def delete_file(file)
                ^
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean:472: nested method definition
def delete_dir(dir)
               ^
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean:482: nested method definition
def signal_handler(sig)
                   ^
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean:500: parse error

And $ ruby --version
ruby 1.6.4 (2001-04-18) [i386-freebsd4.3]

So it looks like I'm running the current version af ruby.

Bjarne