Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:25:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jktheowl@bga.com (John Kenagy)
Cc:        solca@fisicc-ufm.edu, cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS & NIS Problems

John Kenagy wrote,
> Otto E. Solares writes:
> > "Crist J. Clark" wrote:
> >
> > > Otto E. Solares wrote,
> > >   ^^^^^^^^^

> > > I think this is your problem. NIS is intended to be run over a
> > > LAN (it uses broadcast UDP messages). Client-server communications
> > > start to get really funky on a WAN. The most straight forward way to
> > > fix this is to run a slave server on each LAN.

> > I will try the NIS slave, but what happens if i run a NIS slave in each
> > client for speed, can be any trouble, suggestions???
>
> I think you mean one slave in each lab, right? Then all of the
> _other_ clients in the lab are served by it. So you will wind up with
> one master and 4 slave servers, the rest are clients.

I interpreted it to mean that every client was also slave server. Each
client would be bound to itself. If you are not sure that one machine
will always be up on each LAN running FreeBSD (which you hinted to as
a possibility), this could be a work around. Just make sure that the
startup of each client binds properly as do the slave servers.
Otherwise, you could get a very complicated web of dependecies among
the servers and clients, and with machines coming up and down, that
could lead to annoying problems. As long as your NIS maps are not
extroardinarily long and your network connections extraodinarily slow,
I doubt there would be any noticable performance hits.