Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        brett@peloton.runet.edu (Brett Taylor)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.5-stable ?

> Huh?  There was no 2.5-RELEASE.  I am pretty sure there were no 1.5
> releases either.  There have been 2.*.5 releases, but the numbering scheme
> has been slightly altered w/ the advent of the 3.* branch.

Sorry, I should have specified 2.*.5.  (Note to self; do not write so
you can be understood, write so you cannot be misunderstood.)

> As far as I know, there aren't any major stability issues w/ 3.2 or 3.3.
> I don't however use NFS and many other things so maybe I've missed those.
> I think you are probably safe to upgrade, maybe a machine at a time, to
> 3.3.

Well, in 2.2.5 we had a nice little notice in the release announcement:

It is my great pleasure, as always, to announce the release of FreeBSD
2.2.5, our next release on the 2.2-stable branch. Those folks who are
still running 2.1.x and wish to upgrade to 2.2 technology are now
encouraged to do so as 2.2.5 has reached an equivalent level of
stability in all of our tests. A number of annoying problems with
2.2.2 have also been fixed (see the release notes for more information
on this).

IIRC, we had a similar note around 2.1.5

> We could help you decide more if we knew exactly what issues you were
> having w/ software.

Ah, but then I wouldn't learn anything, would I?

Seriously, I solve most of them, and scream when I don't.  Don't
worry, I'm far from a dissatisfied customer.

I suppose what I'm asking is, when will 3.x be considered at that
minimal stable level 2.2.5 was at?  Will we be seeing an "official"
notice from FreeBSD to that effect at any point?

An announcement like the one above is absolutely invaluable to indie
contractors when explaining why upgrades are necessary.

==ml