Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:51:41 +0200
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <karol.kwiat@gmail.com>
To:        Gabriel Dragffy <gabe@dragffy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: packages compiled from source

makes it hard to follow reading from the archives. Comments below.

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2007, at 15:35, Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> They are not saved separately but you can create backups using
>>> pkg_create -b.
>>
>> In addition, you can use 'package' (or 'package-recursive') target
>> instead of 'install' to create packages automagically. In that case
>> target directory is set by PACKAGES variable.
>>
>> Have a look at ports(7) manpage for details.
>
> Many thanks too all who ansered, that's really helpful. I just had a
> hard time compiling lighttpd and php5 together, so wanted to save them
> as packages to spare me the headache in the near future.
>
> Have read the ports man I see that I can change the PACKAGES in the
> environment, but how do I change the environment. Would I edit
> /etc/make.conf at a guess?

PACKAGES is environmental variable - you'll want to change the variable,
not the environment ;)

To change it system wide permanently - yes, editing /etc/make.conf would
be a good idea. The alternatives are setting it in your shell
environment (depends on what you use) or defining it at install time
(every time) with something like 'make PACKAGES=3D/some/dir package'. And=

there are probably other methods, too :)

HTH,

Karol

--=20
Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>
OpenPGP 0x06E09309

--------------enigB5EA5397D710B3DA7B0774C0

--------------enigB5EA5397D710B3DA7B0774C0--