Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:27:57 -0500
From:      bind9 <bind9@citystamp.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The tower of Hanoi

on 1/22/02 7:03 PM, Crist J . Clark at cristjc@earthlink.net wrote:

>> Yes. Should I dump by disk i.e. /dev/adc1se??
>
> You can, but that's not a vaild disk device name.

<blush> I haven't memorized my BSD disk device names yet. Quiz me on my
Solaris meta-disks and I'll ace it.

> Like dump(8) says,
>
> dump [-0123456789acknu] [-B records] [-b blocksize] [-D dumpdates]
> [-d density] [-f file] [-h level] [-s feet] [-T date] filesystem

Ok. So I guess what I need is a quick lesson in "filesystem". Does that mean
equate more to a mount point. On my system, /usr is a mount point for a disk
device. /usr/local is a directory.

P.S. Thanks for your patience. I know this thread has over-stayed it's
welcome. I'm just trying to learn and learn well. I'm guessing by your
E-mail address that you have a much deeper technical education than I.