Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:05:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mahadevan Iyer <iyer@internetdevices.com>
Cc:        java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, saurabh@internetdevices.com, namit@internetdevices.com
Subject:   Re: Possible Bug in JVM socket code on FreeBSD, java.net.Socket

> I have a simple Server and Client pair
> Server listens for connections on fixed port
> Clients connect to the server on the port
>
> The Client opens N connections to the server and keeps them open
> The Server sends data on each of these connections
> The Client listens for data on each of these connections in a single
> thread
>
> N > 250 causes the Client to dump core

I can verify that this bug does indeed exist in the FreeBSD JDK.
However, I do not (yet) have any idea why.  It's happening inside the OS
dependant socket code, but I haven't yet figured out why.

*IF* I run the program with 'java_g -t' (tracing), it works with more
connections, but that changes the timing quite a bit (it's ALOT slower)
and can possibly be using different compiler optimization which might
cause the program to act differently.

I'll keep looking into it, since this behavior is critical to the
success of my product.

Ahh, I just tested with a larger value, and it blows up.  Unfortunately,
it doesn't tell me why it's dying, since it appears that it might be
dying in the call itself. :(

More later.

Nate