Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:30:46 -0600
From:      Santiago Zapata <szapata@creatos.com.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with redirects and routes

Hi:

I have a network with one router for a conexion to a romote site, and a
firewall to the Internet. I am trying to do an ftp transfer from a
Solaris box  in my internal remote network to a FreeBSD 2.2.6 box that
sits in my local ethernet. The ftp transfer is aborting in the middle
because apparently the router (cisco 3600) loses the route to the remote

location and send an ICMP redirect telling that the new router to reach
the remote Solaris is the default router( from the router point of
view), that is the firewall.
The default router configured in the FreeBSD is the cisco.
I am sure that the redirects are being sent because of the output of a
'route -n monitor' I run in a separate window, and whe I do a traceroute

after the redirects, it tries to go out via the firewall instead of via
the cisco.

1. When I do a 'netstat -r' it does not show the new host redirected
route, why ?

2. Furthermore, when I do pings to some non existant IP addresses I
receive in the console messages about the ICMP redirects messages, I
receive the messages sometimes, but not allways, why ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

(reply directly to my e-mail address, I am not in the list)

Santiago Zapata
Metcom