Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:41:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw problems ...

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:39:13PM +0200, Leif Neland wrote:
>
> > Or you could patch ipfw to be able to use a hash-db :-)
>
> skipto caches the pointer of the rule its skipping to the first time
> it uses that rule. not going to get a better hash hit then that...

not enough. The original message was asking for a rule of the form

	<action> $addr in $set ...

where $set is a potentially large set of addresses (or ports as well),
which, when "compiled", creates a hash table where one can do the search
on O(1) time.

With the current syntax we still have to explode the set with individual
rules (naive approach) or something resembling a trie (using skipto rules).

	cheers
	luigi