Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 15:46:26 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New work on installer? - Checked by AntiVir DEMO version -

Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
>>     I think we (theBSD's) are losing a lot of serious brain
>>     brainpower (and certainly lots of latent high-end talent)
>>     by not having a less-headbanging install.  I've done it
>>     literally dozens of times; I still get flummoxed now and
>>     then.
>
> I've been using sysinstall for many years and quite often I think. I
> never thought that sysinstall or the installation of FreeBSD is a
> problem in any way. In my opinion, installing FreeBSD is easy and fast.

There _is_ a new next-gen installation program in the works for FreeBSD,
but (like so many other open-source projects) it will only get done if
people work on it.  Recently, there hasn't been much interest in it.
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/libh.html
If you feel strongly about improving the installer, join the project,
encourage others to join, and consider sponsoring a developer to get
some headway made on it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies