Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2013 13:07:52 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Kenta Suzumoto <kentas@hush.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS LZ4 Upgrade

On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Kenta Suzumoto <kentas@hush.com> wrote:

> Hi. I'm planning on doing a ZFS root installation on a remote server =
very soon. The company only offers a 9.0 and 9.1 installation and =
"rescue" (nfs/pxe boot with ramdisk basically) system. I'd like to use =
LZ4 with the ZFS root pool, so I'm going to be upgrading to -STABLE once =
I have the initial system installed. Here's what I'll do:
>=20
> - install the 9.1 system
> - svn source, buildworld/kernel, install, reboot
> - upon booting the -STABLE system, begin enabling LZ4 compression on =
/usr/ports /usr/src etc.
>=20
> Will this work, or do I need to find some way to initially create the =
zpool with a -STABLE system? Is it just a matter of running "zfs =
upgrade" and "zpool upgrade" before enabling LZ4, or am I missing =
something? Thanks

That should work. Just keep in mind that blocks written before you =
enable compression won't be compressed. So you may want to create a =
_new_ ZFS for src (and ports if it already exists as well) after your =
source upgrade, then copy the contents of /usr/src over to it. (Then =
update the mountpoints as desired, etc.)

JN