Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:51:38 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        thavinci@thavinci.za.net
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 229, Issue 12

On 21 Aug 2008 , freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org entreated
about
 "freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 229, Issue 12":

> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:24:30 +0200
> Subject: THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ
>
> On a different dilemma, I have a FreeBSD proxy server with what looks
> like a failing drive.
>
> The drive ONLY holds cache so is not critical for system operation
> however id still like to try something.
>
> It seem that no matter how many times I run fsck it still comes up
> with same result, is there a way to isolate the bad sectors and use the
> replacement ones on drive? Or even just isolate so that I can continue
> using the drive for now.

The only way I found to do this is to copy the data off the disk,
then newfs that partition, then copy the data back.

my 'copy off' process was a dump | restore to a temporary disk I
added to the machine.

also note: I replaced the disk within a couple of weeks after this.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research