Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 18:41:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        "Question@FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iij-ppp throughput re-visited

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Rob Snow wrote:

Thank you to those who helped me test my iij-ppp.  Here is a chart of the
results.  (I ommited one set of times because I was surfing during the
transfer)

	     twsk20b.zip     view	web2a
oasis->ISP	2.5	     4.6	7.0	115200 & No pred1
ISP->oasis	1.9	     3.1	5.0

oasis->ISP	2.8	     4.4	5.6	57600 & No pred1
oasis->BSD	2.9	     3.5	5.5	(bsd@faser.cs.olemiss.edu)
ISP->oasis	2.4	     3.4	5.2

oasis->ISP shows direction of data flow.
ie. oasis->ISP = oasis is server and ISP is client.

What I see is that in EVERY case ftp'ing out from my box is slower than a
connection comming in.  Why?

I don't know.  I've noticed several posts about iij-ppp throughput and
each seems to mimic, to some extent, my results.  I've also connected to
my ISP with Trumpet Winsock and have seen throughput that looks _right_.

I've got Sportster 28.8 v.34 they have Courier 28.8's.

Anyone have any idea's as to what might be the problem?  When I talked to
Livingston this morning it was suggested that it might be a handshaking
problem.  I'm not so sure about that, I've setup with the default hardware
handshaking profile.

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net