Date:      15 Jan 1998 21:44:52 -0600
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic Linking on FreeBSD 2.2.5 & AIX 3.2.5

Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au writes:
> How do commercial Unixes (such as AIX 3.2.5) deal with this ? While I'm
> always comfortable re-installing FreeBSD, AIX is another matter.

AIX also support shared libraries, certainly since 3.2.5, and
continues to support it today.  In fact, AIX's binary compatibility,
which allows you to run binaries built on 3.2.5 on any version of AIX
thereafter, works best with shared libraries.  Having shared libraries
allows IBM to change the implementation of library function, change
library functions to system calls and vice versa, and have it all
continue to work.

-Dave (who develops AIX in Austin, TX)