Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:00:34 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        thomas@hentschel.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 1.00 - up for grabs

thomas@hentschel.net:
 |On  6 Sep, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |> Jordan K. Hubbard:
 |>  |Hmmm, doesn't build for me on 3.2-stable
 |[snip]
 |
 |> With -stable's kernel frozen, sounds like a patch to -stable's port is the
 |> best route (attached).  Roger, could you add this in when you check in the
 |> port?
 |>
 |> Thanks,
 |>
 |> Randall
 |>

 |Builds and runs great here, thanks a lot Randall. Even 2.2.8 is
 |possible (with a bit more work).

Great.  What kinds of things did you need to do?  Send me patches and I'll
post a 2.2.8 port on the web page.

 |Just one question : When one tests for the optimum frame rate, what does
 |it need a file name for ?? :)

Well, not all disks are created equal, so when you optimize it records to
the same area that it will be recording when you hit "Record".  By default,
this is some file derived from the filename base you enter.

However, if you enter one or more videoCapFile's to override where it
captures (I always do; allows interleaving writes to multiple disks), for
example:

  ! Video capt temp files (optional - up to 4) - one on each disk for
  !   best performance
  Fxtv.videoCapFile1:  /data/00-CAPTURE/fxtv.cap
  Fxtv.videoCapFile2:  /32_share/00-CAPTURE/fxtv.cap
  !Fxtv.videoCapFile3:  /share_bak/00-CAPTURE/fxtv.cap

then it doesn't really capture to a filename derived from your GUI filename
base.  It uses these videoCapFiles and then just encodes to files with the
GUI filename base.

So while in the latter case it might not need a user-entered filename from
the GUI, I thought it made sense to be consistent for both cases.

How's MPEG encoding working for you?

Randall