Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:59:20 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA66 cable being ignored?

At 10:03 AM -0700 8/21/00, Rich Wales wrote:
>My new Dell OptiPlex GX300 (running 4.1-RELEASE) came with an 80-wire
>ATA cable.  I added a second drive and am using this cable for both
>drives.  However, the kernel fails to recognize the cable and is limit-
>ing DMA speed accordingly.  Any ideas?
>
>See below for the relevant portion of the "boot -v" output.  I note the
>"cblid=0" value -- leading me to wonder if the problem might possibly
>be with the integrated ATA controller on the motherboard not sensing or
>reporting the cable properly.  This is an 800-MHz Pentium III system,
>though, so I find it a bit hard to believe that it isn't UDMA66-capable.

>. . .
>atapci0: <Intel ICH ATA66 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device
>31.1 on pci0
>ata0: iobase=0x01f0 altiobase=0x03f6 bmaddr=0xffa0
>ata0: mask=03 status0=50 status1=50
>ata0: mask=03 status0=50 status1=50
>ata0: devices = 0x3
>ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
>. . .
>ata0-master: DMA limitted to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
>ata0-master: success setting up UDMA2 mode on ICH chip

For what it's worth, I have been seeing this too.  In my case I
have two IDE controllers, one on the motherboard, and the other
a PCI card from Promise.  I'm pretty sure the cable is correct,
although I haven't actually ripped the machine apart again to
check it...

In my case, I'm running 4.1-release

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu