Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:41:45 -0800
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "Derek Zeanah" <derek@zeanah.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: internet setup

> B F wrote:
>
> >Can someone just tell me step by step how to get my internet
> running starting from a FreeBSD clean install?  I have spent days
> trying different things I've read on websites and books, but have
> yet to get it working.  Thanks.
> >
> I'm new to BSD, but if it was Windows I'd just tell you to enable DHCP
> on the FreeBSD box to get your network settings from your cable modem,
> and be happy.  If that's not your style, then give your BSD box the
> network settings manually (probably 192.168.x.y for the IP address, with
> 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask.  Just pick something with a different
> final number than either of your other machines.  ;) )
If you get the address via DHCP, run the following (my interface is ed0).
alpha# dhclient ed0

And if you want it to get the address on boot, add the following to
/etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"  #internet connection

If you want it to be a router as well, add the following to rc.conf
gateway_enable="YES"