Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:13 +0200
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsen@enderunix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mysql and system/nice cpu usage

Hi,

I have web server which uses php+mysql. As far as I have searched the best
thing to use mysql on FreeBSD is to use linuxthreads. For the performance
and stability I have done following things on my FreeBSD-4.X Stable system:

Compile mysql with linuxthreads and as static binary. I have read
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000697.html. I have used mysql 4.0
and 4.1 for my setup but had problems on both of the version.

My problem is the mysql eats away lots of CPU time especially in "nice" and
"system" which is really very very weird. A snapshot of the top is like
this:

 ------------------------------
240 processes: 7 running, 233 sleeping
CPU states: 10.9% user, 73.9% nice, 12.5% system,  2.7% interrupt,  0.0%
idle
Mem: 244M Active, 1309M Inact, 309M Wired, 93M Cache, 199M Buf, 56M Free
Swap: 3072M Total, 24K Used, 3072M Free
 -----------------------------------

This system is HTT enabled 2 Xeon 2.8 GHZ with 2 GB RAM. I have disabled SMP
and recompiled my kernel but my problem (nice and system cpu times..) still
persists.

I would appreciate if any of you help me..

REGARDS.

Omer Faruk Sen
http://www.EnderUNIX.ORG
Software Development Team @ Turkey
http://www.Faruk.NET
For Public key: http://www.enderunix.org/ofsen/ofsen.asc

First Turkish FreeBSD book is out! Go check it.
Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php