Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 20:12:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: proposed change to samba port

> Inn goes in /usr/local/news.  The userland NFS utils and daemons live
> with everybody else, and I see no reason why a utility set that provides
> much of the same services should have its own dir structure.

The difference is, that NFS and other stuff are operating system
services. Other packages, like samba and inn, are add-on services.

Look at Solaris 2, they did it the same way and I like it.

Only the ease of use of the FreeBSD ports section was a reason
for me, to have again a _huge_ /usr/local/bin directory with
tons of utilities in one place. Otherwise I would have done my
own kind of directory structure, as I described earlier.

When you discussed the locations of samba, I thought it would
be a good occasion to bring in the new idea.

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -