Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 16:01:27 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Anatoly Vorobey" <mellon@pobox.com>, "Neil Blakey-Milner" <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: RE: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> It was stated that you, the author, didn't have a choice, and could
> not use the GPL (without modifying it) and avoid allowing your users to
> choose a later version.
>
> That statement was not true.

	If RMS publically states that he will grant permission for people to apply
the GPL with statements before or after it that modify its terms, I will
withdraw that complaint. If not, I stand by it.

	As I understand it, the GPL is a piece of property that is owned. You may
not use it any way other than the way the author permits you to.

	If Stallman grants permission solely for that particular type of
modification, then my allegation will become false, but will have been true
when it was made.

	DS