Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:40:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happens in this case?

On Thursday, 17 June 1999 at 13:00:09 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> What will actually happen if I have a 140MB swap partition setup as
> my dump device, but I have 320MB of physical memory, and then a panic
> occurs?

I believe you won't get a dump.  I haven't tried it.  I know that in
very old versions (386BSD) the dump routine would dump the full
length, completely trashing the following file system.

> And anyway, why the heck does the dumpdev have to big as big as
> physical memory?  I mean hay!  What if I have 320MB physical, but only
> 100MB of that is actually allocated or in use at the moment of the
> panic?

How is the dump routine going to know what's in memory?  At the time
of the crash, you can't trust anything (not even the dump routine, but
we tend to gloss over that part).

> Then I should only need a 100MB swap partition to hold the panic
> dump, right?

Which 100 MB would that be?

Greg