Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:07:25 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Concerns about wording of man blackhole

--Sig_TL6rB_YurKMoTUO9iSR.8kT

I set Followup-To freebsd-questions.

Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:

> Fabian Keil wrote:
> > Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> >> Returning a RST tells the scanner that the port is definitely
> >> closed. Returning nothing gives less information.
> >=20
> > As open ports still show up as open I don't see the protection.
> > If some port are open, the attacker can assume that all the
> > "filtered" ports are closed.
>=20
> Most people use a firewall because they are running services (and
> thus have open ports) which they do not want the rest of the Internet
> to be able to connect to.

What does this have to do with "blackhole". =20
=20
> If there exists someone who assumes all "filtered" ports are closed,
> well, wouldn't that fact demonstrate that the blackhole mechanism
> does help...?
=20
Help with what? From the attacker's point of view it makes little
difference if a port appears as filtered or closed.

> >> nmap is extremely well written, and can scan un-cooperative hosts
> >> better than most other programs will.  Anything which uses a
> >> protocol-compliant TCP/IP stack will retry dropped connections
> >> several times if no answer is forthcoming, and will even do things
> >> like try to make a connection without enabling any TCP or IP
> >> options normally set by default.
> >>
> >> These reconnection attempts will greatly slow down attempts to scan
> >> ports rapidly.
> >=20
> > Which shouldn't result in a DOS anyway. The reconnection attempts
> > will even increase the inbound traffic.
>=20
> Yes, but to ports that aren't actually open.
>=20
> It's relatively cheap and easy to process such packets by just
> dropping them, compared with processing them in a userland daemon.

What userland daemon?

> And I'd much rather have malicious traffic heading towards a closed
> port than towards a critical service.

Sure, but "blackhole behaviour" alone doesn't prevent malicious traffic
from reaching critical services.
=20
> [ ... ]
> >> Something using the OS to do TCP/IP is going to be slowed down by
> >> roughly an order of magnitude, which includes many malware programs
> >> like worms.
> >=20
> > Again I don't see the gain. Eventually the port scan will be
> > finished and open ports found.
>=20
> If you can flip a sysctl which increases the time it takes for
> Slammer or Nimda or some other worm to scan through all of the IP's
> on your network, the admins there have more time to respond, and
> there is a better chance that AV software will get updates to block
> the malware before too many systems get infected.

If you already have the firewall to drop those unwanted connections
you might as well just reset them.
=20
Fabian
--=20