Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:45:45 +0200
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why is my DVD /dev/cd0 instead of /dev/acd0 after recompiling kernel?!?

Hi,

Well, yesterday the inevitable finally happened: I lost my
'custom-kernel-compilation' virginity. :)

Indeed, when trying to burn a DVD using growisofs I quickly found out
(tnx Google!) that I had to add the atapicam device to the kernel.

This was done based on what I read here:
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152&goto=nextnewest
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-November/026484.html

Now, similarly to what is described in those threads, on my box the DVD
is now also solely accessible through /dev/cd0 instead of /dev/acd0
(what it previously was).

Does anyone have any idea why this is?

Also: I just changed the entry for this device to cd0 in /etc/fstab such
that the command "mount /cdrom" works again.

Cheers!
Olafo