Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:18:19 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 Built From Ports Dumps Core

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>;
<freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 6:16 AM

> Drew Tomlinson writes:
>  > Thanks for the help.  I'm real new to the Alpha and haven't found
much in
>  > the way of documentation on the web.  I can tell from the console
'show
>  > config' command that my graphics card is in slot 4.  Do you have
any idea if
>  > this is a 32 or 64 bit slot?  If I physically open the box, can I
tell the
>  > difference by looking?  How?  I assume the 64 bit slots would be
longer as
>  > they'd have more pins?
>

> Yes.  You can also tell via 'pciconf -lv'  from FreeBSD, or 'show
> conf' at the SRM prompt.
>
> The 64-bit slots are directly on the main pci bus; the 32-bit slots
> are behind a dec pci-pci bridge.    If your video board is in a 64-bit
> slot, it should appear on bus 0.

Thanks for the tips.  I ran the commands and sure enough, the card was
on pci0.  I opened the box and moved the card to one of the shorter PCI
slots, assuming it was a 32 bit one.  When I rebooted the machine, the
card now shows up on pci1.

'XFree86 -configure' still dumps core.  I noticed errors in the logs
regarding SYSV stuff that wasn't available so I adding it to my kernel
and rebuilding.  I also ran xf86config and generated a basic config file
using card 284 (2064 driver) and appropriate entries for my monitor.
'startx' brings up X windows with twm but the picture quality is really
bad.  It's bad at all resolutions and color depths.  Are there any
specific settings in the X config file that I should look for?

Thanks,

Drew