Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:52:49 -0500
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sometimes 5.3-RELEASE-p5 is stuck at the last steps of shutdown

in message <20050124112207.2442.qmail@web14824.mail.yahoo.com>,
wrote Rostislav Krasny thusly...

> I use FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 on i386. Sometimes my system is stuck
> at the last steps of shutdown. Following quoting is what I saw
> yesterday when my system was stuck again (the last lines):
>
> init: some processes would not die; ps axl advised

I did not have seen or notice this message.

> Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop... done
> Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop... done
> Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
> Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 2 1 0 0 0 done
> No buffers busy after final sync

I am using the same version as above on IBM ThinkPad T42 (2373-5TU).
Before i removed the, well, removable CD/DVD drive, system would
either turn off the power or bring up "System halted ... Press a key
to reboot or turn off power" like message, depending upon the
command issued (apm or acpi).

After removing the CD/DVD drive (while the computer was turned off),
system refused to shutdown (or bring up the message "System halted
..."), or to respond to Ctrl-Alt-Esc or Ctrl-Alt-Del keys.  It just
stuck at the above mentioned message, "No buffers busy ...".  I
tried 2-3 times, w/ acpi only, both in console and X.  (I did not
see anything interesting in the logs later.)

(Yes, after reinserting the drive, system halts/shuts down as
expected.)

  - Parv