Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:02:09 -0700
From:      "John Hanna" <jhanna@cproject.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: DUMP causes system lockup?

> Compile a debug kernel also including the kernel debugger.
I'll rebuild the kernel with debugging options and see if I can get more
information.

> > Is fileaccess in the middle of a dump bad?
>
> Supposedly dump handles this reasonably well.
> > Last night in the middle of this process the system locked up.
>
> Shouldn't do that.

That's what I thought too... Oh, well...

John
-------------------------
Date: 12/30/1999
Author: Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>

John Hanna <jhanna@cproject.com> wrote:

> I run dump nightly to backup my files to a second disk,

Let me tell you something. In the last couple of years I have twice lost
all hard disks in a system at the same time. The first
time, the power supply blew and apparently sent a spike down the 12V
output. The second time, I ran into a faulty power cable that
reversed +5V and +12V.

Backups to another disk in the same box aren't.

> dump -0 -a -f - / |gzip >/backup/larryboy/larryboy.root.dump.gz
> dump -0 -a -f - /usr |gzip >/backup/larryboy/larryboy.usr.dump.gz
>
> Last night in the middle of this process the system locked up.

Shouldn't do that.

> Is fileaccess in the middle of a dump bad?

Supposedly dump handles this reasonably well.

> I can't shut off all server functions for the duration of the
> dump.

Neither do I.

> Is there a way I can make dump more file-sharing-friendly?

No. But this is not a dump problem. dump only *reads* from the file
system. At most dump could crash. But you are
saying the system
locked up.

Compile a debug kernel also including the kernel debugger. See if you
can panic the machine next time this happens. Try
to narrow down, where the kernel locks up.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de