Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 14:22:39 -0400
From:      Rob <r17fbsd@xxiii.com>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: laser printer - which one?

Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> laser printers. I would like to buy a (relatively) cheap laser printer
> with the following requirements:

I have an HP LaserJet 1200 at home that I've been *very* pleased with.  It is out of production, but used ones are inexpensive (< $100 USD) and the 1300 is nearly identical.  They're widely available on ebay.

It has a "real" CPU (ie, not windoze controlled) with 8MB memory, native postscript, PCL 5, and PCL 6 at 15 pages/min and a 1/2 ream paper tray.  Only possible drawback is it's USB.  New toner carts' are $50 - $70 and yield 4000 - 6500 pages for me.  The wife & I have run over 30K pages through it in 4 years, no problems.

Beware of the newer HP "personal sized" lasers -- many are windoze only.

  -RW