Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:44:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: g77 in base system.

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > As long as we can bring it in conditionally, have libgcj is possibly
> > more important to FreeBSD than you'd think.  Realize there are a large
> > number of us out there doing Java development (I'm only doing it for
> > classes now, but there's a lot of folks doing this) and since there's no
> > Java2 yet for FreeBSD, it's a drawback.  I have Solaris7 at my elbow
> > here, *extremely* unwillingly, only because I need Java2.
>
> Is libgcj and the like Java2 compliant?  I was under the impression that
> it was less 'featureful' than the JDK1 stuff the porting team released?

It doesn't have all the libs in it, all the stuff that was swing in
Java1.  It's possible it could be made to work, if I added in the
swingall.jar, but I don't yet know, I haven't finished my homework yet,
so I can't play as I'd like.

> Nate

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).