Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:41:50 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Michael Radzewitz <michael.radzewitz@freenet-ag.de>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

[Providing a subject will greatly increase the chance for a timely
answer.]
[Note: there is a german language FreeBSD mailing list available at
questions@DE.FreeBSD.org]

Michael Radzewitz schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I have updated my sys-sources via cvsup.
> Why I can not run the normal:
>
>     # /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
>     # cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
>     # make depend
>     # make
>     # make install
>
> sequenze to install a new kernel. The handbook
> gives a big warning about this...

Because this way you would build a kernel with non-matching userland
binaries. You have to make world first after cvsup.

> ... but the other
> description don't work on my system either:
>
>     # cd /usr/src
>     # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>     # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>
> In this case, make gives me the message:
>
> # don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop

In case you never configured and built your own kernel, leave out the
KERNCONF=... part. This will build the GENERIC kernel.

> There is nothing in the directory (/usr/src).
> No makefile only the directory sys.

It seems you had problems with CVSup, too. Please post your supfile. Or,
more easily,

- copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile to your home directory
- edit the
    *default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
  line to
    *default host=cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org  (Note: this is a german mirror)
- as root,
    cvsup -g -L 2 ~/stable-supfile

to retrieve the world and kernel sources.

If you got a CD-ROM at hand, install the source packages before that --
this will reduce the download time.

> So maybe someone can say me what I am doing
> wrong with that buildkernel business...

You probably told CVSup to retrieve a nonexistent part of the source.
Combined with certain options, this will cause CVSup to nuke the source
directory.

HTH
-Christoph Sold