Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:14:03 +0300
From:      "Alex N. Markelov" <amarkelov@futures.msk.ru>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.2-release. PPP hangs up my ThinkPad 760ED.

Hello freebsd-mobile,

I have 4.2-release installed on my IBM ThinkPad 760ED notebook. Configuring
ppp, I have my system hang up after trying to switch into term mode. I have
read userppp part of Handbook and man page for ppp, but can't see anything I
could missed.

When I'm trying to begin ppp session in interactive mode, I'm entering
following commands:

set device /dev/cuaa0
set speed 19200
set ctsrts off
set accmap 000a0000
set parity none
set cd off

... and when I'm trying to get into terminal mode with term command
here, my computer hangs up and I can't do anything - only power off
works good :(.

I see only one strange thing: I have pseudo-device tun 1 in my kernel,but
can't see any tun* devices in ifconfig -a output :o( until start ppp
up.

What could be wrong? Maybe it's some strange feature of ThinkPad's internal
modems. The most disappointing thing, that I have working ppp under Win'98 on
the notebook :(.

PS I tried connect external Zyxel 1496E Plus. The same behavior :( .
Maybe it's because of bad configuration of serial ports in kernel? (I
left GENERIC strings for sio0 and sio1 in my config with flags 0x10
for sio0).

Best regards,
 Alex N. Markelov
System administrator.
Folium Ltd., Moscow, Russia.
PGP fingerprint: 5EE9 D9E2 7483 8A54 1C4F  3655 AD8F 9A9E 7589 C811

UNIX *IS* user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are. (Ó) unknown