Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:15:46 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Subject:   Re: Help me win the MS-Proxy/ipfw war

Scott,

Tough call. But pass this on to your boss...

I reckon our company has spent weeks configuring and reconfiguring our Proxy
Server since it was first installed back in February. It has failed at least
twice to our knowledge and we have had to reboot the damned thing on several
occasions. You will be spending hours reconfiguring each desktop to install
the client software (IEAK goes someway, but not all of the way, to helping
you out) and if you run non-Microsoft OSes on the internal LAN they will not
be able to access the Internet easily, if at all.

We are now moving to FreeBSD for our firewall/NAT solution. After our pains
it was easy to recommend and get acceptance on, but my partners at least
trust my decisions pretty much without question. Final clincher: Microsoft
are incorporating NAT functionality into RRAS for Windows 2000 Server.

If you'd like more details please feel free to contact me.

john...

BTW Common mistake: you do not necessarily get to use Microsoft products for
free just because you are an MCSP. There are license restrictions that must
be adhered to.