Date:      02 May 2003 09:07:58 -0500
From:      Craig Boston <craig@xfoil.gank.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        mark@grondar.org
Subject:   Re: save-entropy "route: not found"

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 08:14, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> But it only breaks down when someone explains that rc.conf is
> actually a configuration file, and that the configuration is read
> by the artifact of sourcing it is a mere implementation detail.

I don't know how many other people abuse the fact that rc.conf is
sourced, but I do by using code to the effect of:

for _conf in /etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf; do
    [ -r ${_conf} ] && . ${_conf}
done

And /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d is a symlink to /etc/rc.conf.d.

This seems relatively harmless and makes my life much easier.  I have a
lot of custom ports for configuring my servers that drop files in
etc/rc.conf.d.  It's a lot simpler for upgrades to simply delete its
config file and replace it with a new one than to try to do fancy ed
scripting on rc.conf and possibly screw up other things...

Then again I also do that for make.conf with somewhat more hackish code
;)

__CONFFILES != echo /etc/make.conf.d/*.conf
.for __conf in ${__CONFFILES}
.if exists(${__conf})
.include "${__conf}"
.endif