Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 17:46:53 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARG!!! 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostnam

Jonathan Chen:
 |On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 07:26:03AM -0700, Randall Hopper wrote:

 |> I have not been able to post to the FreeBSD lists for a fairly long
 |> time, and I'd put posting aside for a while.  I came back to it today
 |> and _still_ no luck.
 |>
 |> I've got all masquarading on in my sendmail .mc file, and that doesn't
 |> fix it n(it doesn't affect the SMTP EHLO host reported).
 |>
 |> I even hacked sendmail this morning and told it to say "EHLO
 |> www.freebsd.org" and "EHLO smtp-server.freebsd.org", and that didn't
 |> please FreeBSD's mail server.  So what does the silly thing want?
 |
 |The correct way to send email is to relay your email to your ISP's
 |mail-server, and NOT send from your DHCP allocated address directly.
 |The FreeBSD lists require the incoming mail-connection come from an
 |IP-address which has a reverse IP entry for it, making it much easier
 |for them to track who has been abusing the lists.

Well, correct is a subjective word.  Let's just say it's the only option
that hasn't been disabled by FreeBSD's mailing list server (I'm on tons of
lists, and FreeBSD's is the only one I've ever had this problem on; all
others treat the EHLO text as nothing special -- user-provided garbage
potentially, which it is!).

I prefer not to route all my e-mail through my ISP's mail relay because:

   1) who that has much computer experience likes the phrase "single point of
      failure", and

   2) relaying though the ISPs server makes e-mail snooping that much
      easier.

Users inside corporate or government firewalls or on internal networks with
internal DNS and mail relays that just relay the EHLO text (containing the
internal-DNS FQDN; I have one of these at work) are locked out as well.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com