Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:33:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Berend de Boer <100120.3121@CompuServe.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-install <freebsd-install@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: add kernel.ATAPI to install CD-Rom

On 29 Apr 1996, Berend de Boer wrote:

> I think it's wise to add a kernel.ATAPI to the CD-Rom and in the installation
> script make this kernel the default if people are installing from a ATAPI
> CD-Rom.

Not too bad of an idea.  Or just include it in GENERIC (bloat it even
more than it already is).

> Else you can install from CD-Rom and as soon as you boot, your CD-Rom is
> inaccessible. And if you did not install the sources, you even can't recompile
> the kernel (I think) to add CD-Rom support.

If you can't do that, then how have people been getting atapi support
after installation?  :-)

If you install the sources, you can build a kernel without any further
need of the cd.  Look in LINT for the appropriate ATAPI options.