Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:53:36 -0600
From:      Jason Dusek <jdusek@cs.uiowa.edu>
To:        "Newbies@BSD" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tastes Like Chicken

Juan Pablo Gutierrez wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2004, at 7:52 PM, Jason Dusek wrote:
>
>> I'll guess I'll add to the Hoopla.  I'm a former Mac user, who was
>> always deeply curious about the workings of his machine.  I have to
>> say that I have yet to find in any other operating system the unique
>> combination of instructional challenges and raw functionality that is
>> offered by FreeBSD!  I am now evangelizing FreeBSD to all my friends
>> - and I'm pushing it for a local non-profit organization as the
>> solution to their new found need for business work stations.  I
>> really look forward to the day when FreeBSD with GNOME or KDE (or
>> perhaps some weird interhack of the two of them) is a common desktop
>> environment.
>>
>> --
>> ~*~* Jason
>

> Hi Jason,
>
> My experience is the exact opposite of yours: I've gone from FreeBSD
> to Mac (though I tinker on any OS I find, Linux, Windows, Menuet,
> etc).  I'm curious if you've played with OpenDarwin at all.  I've been
> meaning to install it, but haven't had the time, and the newest
> version runs on both PPC and x86.  Anyway, I'm curious to see how OS X
> evolves.  As it is now, running X11 on it is pretty weird.  Where is
> XF86Config? or xf86config for that matter?  The operating system is
> still very new and Macs are new to me, so I expect to figure things
> out eventually.  BTW, what's with this GNOME and KDE stuff?  Fluxbox
> forever!

I haven't touched OpenDarwin.  I really don't think that it's added all
that much to the open source community - it's basically just a bunch of
nice additions to FreeBSD.  None of the really useful Mac like things -
like Aqua - are open.  And using the Mach kernel is hardly Apple's idea.

I think that Apple is going to have to make a decision, and I hope they
make the right decision - I think they have to decide to become an open
source hardware developer.  Honestly I don't think this will cost them a
penny - their hardware's good enough to move units for all kinds of
computationally intensive applications, and a lot of their market
(graphic design studios and so forth) would just buy a packaged distro
from them anyway.

In the meantime though, a free Mac is just not in the cards.  So I've
got GNOME instead.  Though I bet you sawfish is a whole new experience...

--
~*~* Jason