Date:      16 Sep 1999 15:47:47 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm xhosts authorization confusing me

Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net> writes:

> that would work for one user, but if I want to be able to su to various
> different local users, or come to root from different xdm username
> logins, that won't work
>
> Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:11:25 -0400, Laurence Berland wrote:
> > > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> >
> > This is because xdm provides the user who logs in with a cookie which
> > must be available later when clients try to display to your X server.
> >
> > An easy work-around is to provide root with a symlink to your user's
> > .Xauthority file as follows:
> >
> >         # cd /root
> >         # ln -s /home/username/.Xauthority

Another easy way to do this is to use ssh to login to the various ids
rather than su.  ssh automatically does forwarding of the X
connections and establishes its own cookies.  It has the advantage
that you don't have to open up your X security to everyone on the
local machine with xhost +localhost.

 ssh -l user localhost

(assuming you've installed ssh from the ports)
--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com