Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:03:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        "R. Imura" <imura@cs.titech.ac.jp>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.org, se@FreeBSD.org, andreas@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Qt/KDE/bsd.port.mk upgrade PRs imminent

On 08-Jan-00 R. Imura wrote:
> Ok, we still have two selection.
>
> A) We don't define USE_NEWGCC anymore.
>    We can only play KDevelop with 4-CURRENT.
>    (So, it will be a kind of port like linux_base-6.1, vmware, and ...)

I said this before - this is the stupid choice. Lots of people will lose
functionality (in the form of apps) if we go this way.

> B) Upgrade all of Qt ports to define USE_NEWGCC.

I will submit patches for all such ports tomorrow. See below.

> 1) Notice the change to all maintainers.

They will all be notified by myself when I send in the PR for these ports.
It'll be a mega-PR with (probably) 25-50+ patches.

> 2) Check if they(all of the ports which define USE_QT=yes) work under
> gcc-2.95,
>    and prepare patches for them.
>    If you see http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-full/, some ports couldn't
>    be built with gcc-2.95.2.
>    Please once forget a new port. We should fix the ports we already have.
>
> 3) Commit.
>    It doesn't require to change each Makefiles to define USE_NEWGCC=yes,
>    only to change bsd.port.mk's USE_QT part to add one line (like USE_QT2).
>    And we commit the patches to each port.
>    It must be done at the same time.
>    (If there are many patches, it will be ok that you show them in one PR
>     or using web resource.)
>
> I don't like that there are two kind of Qt, one is NEWGCC'd other not,
> anymore. This will make people confuse. If you can't avoid prepare two, it
> would be better that they are master/slave ports.

I TOTALLY agree with this! They ought to both be NEWGCC'd.

> About USE_KDE in bsd.port.mk, I don't doubt, because we can say that
> kdelibs is a kind of toolkit(I mean it is necessary from all kde apps).

I can just patch all of them and test them. See below.

> There would be some objection.
> Don't be in harry, otherwise sometimes something goes worse.
>
> Last, only one problem.
> I don't have enough time to check all ports.

I will write a script to do a full burn of all Qt 1.4x and KDE 1.1.2-based
programs. I'll let it run overnight and see what happens. I expect that few
will need much modification. But ya never know..

(Note, my script will only be able to handle it for 3.4-STABLE - someone else
could probably do the work for 4.0-CURRENT 400012).

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>