Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:29:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Monitoring

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Darryl Hoar wrote:

> it and using it only for monitoring/managing my network.  Is this hardware
> going to be adequate ?

Sure.

But I guess we need to know /what/ you wish to monitor and manage.

On our only managable switch, I graph all of the port traffic using
mrtg.  (I use mrtg to graph many other things, as well..)

But I also use big brother to monitor connectivity of all of our WAN
links.

http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html
http://bb4.com/

would get you started.  Both are available in the ports collection, as
well.

....david

--
David Raistrick		Digital Wireless Communications
davidr@dwcinet.com