Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:50:45 -0400
From:      "Nelson, Trent ." <tnelson@switch.com>
To:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD usage in safety-critical environments

[Please include me directly as I'm not on the list]

Hi,

	Has anyone had any experience with deploying FreeBSD in
safety-critical environments?  Has any work been done attempting to certify
FreeBSD to any particular SIL?  Is there any intention to do such a thing?

	If not FreeBSD, I'd be interested to hear if any has had exposure to
other BSD flavors being used in safety-critical environments.

	I've just been shown a report at work that has been commissioned by
the UK Health & Safety Executives and sponsored by the UK Ministry of
Defense and Safety Regulation Group of the UK Civil Aviation Authority
undertaking a preliminary assessment of Linux for safety-related systems.
The report 'identifies' that it would be possible to certify Linux to SIL 1
and SIL 2 quite easily, and SIL 3 with a little work.

	I'd hate to think that this would be an arena where BSD couldn't
compete.  I'd also hate to think that the tendency for big players such as
the MoD or DoD etc to lean towards Linux is based on the general Linux
'hype', rather than technical merit...

	Regards,

		Trent.