Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2015 06:41:16 -0500
From:      Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        FreeBSD FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Btsync on FreeeBSD

I am having a problem that I just cannot seem to work around, I have
"btsync-2.2.6" installed on a FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-p7 machine. I am using it
to primarily link files from a Windows 10 PC. I am using the commercial
version on the Windows PC.

The Windows part works fine. It is when I place the link into the "manual
connection" box on the FreeBSD. The link must be copied and manually
inserted. The simple clinking on of the link that works fine on a Windows
machine fails on FreeBSD. The real problem is that I now receive an error
that "btsync" does not have permission to write to that folder. I have
changed the folder locations to my home directory. I finally got around
that problem by changing the OWNER/GROUP to btsync as the owner leaving
myself as the group. Now, btsync will sync with the Windows machine. This
does not solve all of my problems though. I now cannot save, copy or move any
files to this "btsync" directory unless I do so as the superuser. I even
tried changing the directory permissions to "0777". Now, I can write to the
directory; however, "btsync" will not sync those files to the Windows
machine. Apparently because the owner of the file is not "btsync". Also, I am
forced to manually change the permissions of any sub-directories that
"btsync" creates. A real PIA in several instances.

I am at a loss here as how to make this work. I was thinking that perhaps
"acls" would be the an-swer, but I do not know how to use them and
specifically, how to use them on only one directory and any sub-directories.

If anyone has experience with "btsync", I would love hearing about your
experience.

--
Carmel