Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:47:50 -0400
From:      Brad Mettee <bmettee@pchotshots.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: general question - php5 extensions

Ok, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

It wasn't that I didn't find php5-extensions, or even that it's difficult
to use, but actually tracking down the php5-extensions directory in the
first place was somewhat of a problem because there is no mention anywhere
of it in the lang/php5 doc files. I finally stumbled on a reference to it
in a 2 year old doc I found on google while looking for how to make .so
extension extensions be found by php. There's also a couple of extensions
not in the php5-extensions list, but I found them as well (samba share,
"dir php5-* /ad /s" starting in the /usr/ports directory helped a lot).

You're portmanager line has been very helpful, everything that I was trying
to get installed is actually working! I only had one problem and that's
because Mail-Toaster defines itself as a package without defining an ORIGIN
line in it's +CONTENTS pkg file. Once I added that I stopped getting
portmanager upgrade errors and everything got properly upgraded and compiled.

At 03:59 PM 7/11/2008, you wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:30:21 -0400
>Brad Mettee <bmettee@pchotshots.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been banging my head for 2 days trying to get php5 compiled with
> > extensions OR a way to find the .so files so it could dynamically
> > link them. I've finally stumbled on the php5-* directories in the
> > ports tree and it's compiling extensions right now, except that I
> > keep having to deinstall an extension then restart the php5-extension
> > make again so it can continue.
> >
> > Why isn't there a single folder under the lang/php5 directory that
> > would put all of the extensions in the same place? Having them broken
> > up into all of the varying places in the tree makes it extremely
> > difficult to find them. Or maybe at least have sym links to them in
> > one place.
> >
> > This is just for discussion, I don't expect an actual answer..........
>
>Are you referring to 'php5-extensions-1.1' in the ports tree? Assuming
>you have installed php5 via ports, why couldn't you just run:
>
>         portupgrade -NRryv php5-extensions
>
>You will probably want to run 'make config' in that directory before
>running portupgrade.
>
>You could also use portmanager:
>
>         portmanager lang/php5-extensions -p -y -l
>
>HTH
>
>--
>Gerard
>gerard@seibercom.net
>
>Oh, give me a home,
>Where the buffalo roam,
>And I'll show you a house with a really messy kitchen.

         Brad Mettee
         PC HotShots, Inc.
         Baltimore, MD
         (410) 426-7617

      -> Let us bring out the *Power* of your PCs. <-
-> Custom Business Software Solutions since 1991 <-

visit http://www.pchotshots.com for information about our company.