Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2014 18:52:05 +0300
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>, net@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap in GENERIC, by default, on HEAD

On 05.11.2014 18:39, George Neville-Neil wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Last night (Pacific Time) I committed a change so that GENERIC, on HEAD
> has the netmap
> device enabled.  This is to increase the breadth of our testing of that
> feature prior
> to the release of FreeBSD 11.
>
> In two weeks I will enable IPSec by default, again in preparation for 11.

Hi,

recently we did some IP forwarding tests and the GENERIC kernel is
several times faster than GENERIC+IPSEC. Even when IPSEC has no SA.

I didn't do test on vanilla kernel, but our kernel is able forward
IPv4/IPv6 on rate close to 8.6 Mpps. The same kernel compiled with IPSEC
can forward only 180 kpps. I think this problem should be solved before
enabling it in GENERIC.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov