Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:35:29 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Massimo De Giorgi <madg66@libero.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no route to host

Massimo De Giorgi wrote:

> >> In /etc/host.conf I have just one line:
> >>     hosts
> >> In /etc/hosts two lines:
> >>     127.0.0.1        localhost......my_pc_name
> >>     10.0.0.1          my_pc_name
> >> Now, whichever "network" command I type in
> >> ( I mean telnet, ping etc...) I get
> >>      no route to host
> >> if I use the host address 10.0.0.1.
> >> Things go smoothly with 127.0.0.1 and
> >> my_pc_name.
> >> Is there anything wrong ?
>
> >what is the address of the gateway? once you have that address
> >type (as root):
> >route add default <gateway IPaddress>
>
> There isn't any gateway. This is a standalone machine
> running with "enable gateway"="NO" in rc.conf.

Delete the 10.0.0.1 entry in /etc/host.conf. Standalone machines don't
need no host interface, it would be down anyway. That's why the error
message tells you "no route to host": The interface, if any, is down,
thus it won't allow any packets through, thus the packets destined to
network 10.0.0.0 can not reach the net the are destined for. No problem,
only the report of the fact you are standalone.

HTH
-Christoph Sold