Date:      28 Apr 2000 23:39:37 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SRM questions (mildly off-topic)

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

>  >   Today, I experimentally put in a KNE100TX (DEC 21140A).
>
> What does it tell you if you do

This appears to work. I didn't know there was a "fastfd" option.

> Did you try ifconfig de1 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex ?

Yes, forcing it after FreeBSD had come up did work fine from the
beginning.

> BTW, if you're looking for a "high performance" network card for a
> low-end alpha, stay away from tulips.

Just what I needed to hear. :-( As part of our computing zoo, we
have two dual ppro boxes, one running Linux, the other one FreeBSD,
plus this AXPpci33, and two KNE100TX cards currently installed in
the intel boxes. I intended to move the KNE100TX from the Linux
box to the alpha, since the Linux tulip driver is a mess (on our
machine it won't do full-duplex), and put something that's both
sensible and sensibly supported, say an EtherExpress, into the
intel box. Scratch that idea.

> 3coms should work fairly well...

You mean a 3C905?

--