Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:25:57 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, trini0 <trini0@optonline.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape mail again

Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Actually, it could be considered a slight security feature.  From: is
> > for the author(s).  Sender is used when the person sending the message
> > is different than the From header. Given the amount of flack Netscape
> > took for making it trivial to forge email, that they now notice the
> > sender and from mailbox being different and add a sender can be
> > considered DTRT.

> All of this would fine and good if the Sender: field was actually correct.  The
> sender field should be "my_earthlink_login@earthlink.net" not
> "my_machine_login@earthlink.net".  If the sender field was correct there wouldn't
> be a problem since "my_earthlink_login@earthlink.net" is a valid email address.

That's pretty much what I said further down. And yes, that's a problem
- bounces get thrown away. As a workaround, you might try tweaking the
netscape startup script to set the USER and LOGNAME environment
variables, as it does read those. I wouldn't expect it to work,
though. If you're using a BSD version, a more extreme approach would
be to have the script start an suid command to create a new session
then call setlogin and go back to the real userid, in hopes that it
uses one of the getlogin variants.

It's probably easier to try netscape's tech support on this one,
though.

What I'd like to know is where it gets the "earthlink.net" domain name
from.

	<mike