Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:17:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads stuff - reality check..

:I'd hate to ruin a good pie-in-the-sky session on the design of the killer
:threads system and all, but I kinda wonder if we're aiming too hight to start
:with?
:
:Wouldn't it be better to put the pieces that we already have together and
:make something in time for 4.0 that runs with better concurrency than we
:have now?  ie: perhaps based on Richard's native linuxthreads port?
:
:Most of the pieces are there, but it needs work to tidy up the loose ends
:and bring it up to date, and probably some debugging to get it to work
:properly. There isn't a chance in hell that the Ultimate Threads are going
:to be ready for 4.0, but we have got a pretty good shot at doing an
:intermediate version that's at least comparable to what Linux does.  Things
:like squid etc really hurt without threads with blocking support, and it
:will be a damn shame to miss the opportunity to have an alternative to
:uthreads in 4.0.  Most of the work is already done after all.  It doesn't
:take much to get the kit from http://lt.tar.com/ to compile and
:pretty much work.
:
:Many of the primatives and infrastructure would be *directly* applicable to the
:new threads - eg: reentrancy support in libc etc.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter

    Heh heh.  Good point.  Doing this would also give us an infrastructure
    to test against as changes are made.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>