Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:48:58 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile ports/x11/XFree86-4/scripts configure

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 04:45:15AM -0700, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:

>  > On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 12:51:01PM -0700, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
>
>  >> Add a test to instruct the user to rename ${PREFIX}/lib/libXft.so.1
>  >> if it is an incompatible version.
>
>  > [followup to -ports]
>
>  > Mmm.. shouldn't this be ${X11BASE}, not ${PREFIX}?
>
> Look at the Makefile. We set  PREFIX= ${X11BASE} here.

Still, it seems wrong to me.  PREFIX is where this particular compiled
copy will be installed; X11BASE is where the existing libraries are.

If XFree86 cannot currently be installed in any location other than
/usr/X11R6, then this is correct; if, however, it supports building
with PREFIX=somewhere else, then this change is definitely wrong -
the library that will be picked up will be located in X11BASE, so
the test might not even find it.  If XFree86 does not currently support
builds with a different prefix, it may support them one day - no reason
not to do the right thing here.

X11BASE is where the offending libraries reside, PREFIX might point
to an empty directory.

G'luck,
Peter

--