Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:59:45 -0500
From:      Austin Shaw Hall <ash@vectorstar.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   randomly crackly/distorted audio...

I have an MSI 6340M board with an AC97 sound chip builtin:
  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Feb 11 2002 17:08:25
  Installed devices:
  pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> at io 0xdc00 irq 10 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

I run 4.5-stable.

My problem is this: the smallest disk or CPU activity will cause audio
playback to stutter and crackle. It is an extremely obnoxious sound
to hear in the middle of a song. It sounds like a buffer underrun,
however buffer adjustments in various mp3/wav playback have no effect.
I did not have this problem with 4.3 release--it only started when I
began tracking stable 4 or 5 months ago.

If someone else has this problem, let me know; if you have a solution
that would be even better though ;-) because this is driving me
absolutely crazy.

Austin
--
Go climb a gravity well!